Sarasota Youth Sailing Code of Conduct
The goal of Sarasota Youth Sailing, Inc.(SYS) is to provide a safe and educational environment for all participants. It is of utmost importance that all sailors and their parents be aware of the standards expected regarding behavior both on and off the water.
Sarasota Youth Sailing wishes to promote mutual respect amongst its sailors, coaches, parents, volunteers, and guests through the use of appropriate language, attitude and behavior.
All participants, including parents and youths of Sarasota Youth Sailing, agree that:
- Safety is the top priority.
- I will demonstrate mutual respect for all sailors, coaches, parents, and volunteers regardless of age, race, gender, religion, national origin or abilities.
- I will represent SYS with my best efforts, never bringing embarrassment or an unfavorable view to the program.
- I will respect all equipment and property. I will take personal and financial responsibility for any damage I incur. Parents will take joint responsibility for damage caused by their children.
- I will respect the Gulf of Mexico, Sarasota Bay, their shores and the creatures that make them their home.
- I will not verbally and/or physically threaten or abuse any other person.
- I will refrain from smoking, drinking and/or illegal drug use.
- I will not bring any weapons to any SYS practice or event.
- I will not use any social media website or tool to mock, belittle or abuse any sailor, coach or anyone else associated with SYS.
- I will continually strive to demonstrate good sportsmanship on and off the water. I will follow the fundamental rules of fair sailing.
___By checking this box and signing below I/we acknowledge I/we have reviewed the Sarasota Youth Sailing Program’s Code of Conduct and agree we will abide by it at all times. I/we understand that any violation of the Code of Conduct, by any sailor or the sailor’s parents, may result in disciplinary actions, including, but not limited to, suspension or non-refundable expulsion from the program. The Executive Director of SYS shall make the determination as to whether a violation of the Code of Conduct has occurred, and the disciplinary action resulting from any violation, and such determination shall not be subject to review or appeal. I/we agree that SYS may amend the terms of this Code of Conduct at any time, and those changes will be effective when they are sent to me via email.
Medical Release: In the event of an emergency requiring medical attention for my child, I hereby authorize and consent to any x-ray, examination, anesthetic, medical or surgical diagnosis or procedure rendered under the general or specific supervision of any medical professional licensed under the laws of the State of Florida. I understand that this permission is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment or hospital care being required but is given to provide authority and power to render care which the aforementioned medical personnel in the exercise of their best judgment may deem advisable. I understand that reasonable efforts shall be made to contact the undersigned prior to rendering treatment to the patient, but that any of the above treatments will not be withheld if I cannot be reached.
Parent’s/Participant’s Consent and Waiver of Liability-Assumption of Risk-Indemnify Agreement
As the parent or legal guardian (hereafter referred to in the singular) of the named adult or child in this registration (herein referred to as the “child”), request that the child be allowed to participate in the activities at Sarasota Youth Sailing Program (SYSP) (herein referred to as “the activities”).
The agreement shall remain in effect until the Sarasota Youth Sailing Program (“SYSP”) receives written notice of the cancellation of the consent or until the end of the activities described above.
In return for the child or myself being permitted to take part in the activities and to use the facilities, equipment, and property of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron (SSS) and SYSP, each of us makes the following promises and warrants the truth of the following facts.
1. Parental consent or consent for myself: I am familiar with the programs included in the activities, and I understand officers and employees of the SYSP are available to discuss the activities should I wish additional information. I also understand I or the appointed chaperone is solely responsible for the arrival and departure of my child at the beginning and end of each day’s program. I will not allow my child to remain on the premises of the SYSP (unless in accordance with SSS policies) after each day’s program without providing appropriate supervision or the written permission of the SYSP. I agree that the SSS OR SYSP will have no responsibility for the supervision of myself or my child at times other than during the scheduled activities. I will inform my child that he/she is expected to cooperate with and follow the directions of the persons in charge of the activities and to act in a manner consistent with the spirit of good sportsmanship and respect for the rights of others.
2. My child or is in good health, and I know of no reason why he/she would be incapable of participating in the activities. My child knows how to swim.
3. WAIVER OF LIABILITY: I waive and release my rights I, my heirs, distributes, guardians, legal representatives and assigns may have or acquire to make a claim against, sue, attach the property of or prosecute the SYSP OR SSS or any of its members, directors, officers, agents, employees and affiliated organizations (herein referred to as “the releases”) for monetary damages caused by injury to myself or my child or damage to the property of myself or my child or arising from my or my child’s participation in the activities and use of the facilities and property of SYSP AND SSS, whether or not the injury or damage results from the negligence or other action, except intentional acts of any of the releases.
4. ASSUMPTION OF RISK: I am aware that the activities may involve maneuvering a boat, sailboard, or other watercraft on deep water in potentially hazardous conditions which may include among other things, strong winds, high waves, sudden and unexpected immersion in deep waters and collision with other watercraft or stationary objects such as docks, pilings and buoys. With the knowledge of the dangers involved I voluntarily ask that my child be allowed to take part in the activities. I ACCEPT ANY AND ALL RISKS TO MYSELF AND MYSELF OR MY CHILD OF INJURY, DEATH, AND PROPERTY OF THE SSS AND SYSP, WHETHER OR NOT CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER ACTION, EXCEPT IN INTENTIONAL ACTS OF ANY OF THE RELEASES.
BOAT DAMAGE DISCLAIMER FOR CHARTERED BOATS
Parents are responsible for and agree to pay for boat damage beyond normal wear and tear.